Monday, February 1, 2010

What San Francisco's Homeless Community Can Do For You !


Running has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. (Considering that my memory isn't necessarily my cerebral forte, this dates us back to about the middle school era.)

Although, this certainly does not mean that it has always been a source of joy for me.

I can recall countless stubborn shin-splints; many a tear-stained, vomit-inducing 5k finish; being continuously lapped by Ms. (or is it Mrs. now?) "Gazelle" Knuckles on the 7-mile practice loop, and having to keep tread through my shame. This all goes without mentioning the overall sensation - those times when I just plain didn't feel like it - of feeling as if I was running through miles of sand & muck; occasions which often made running seem much more like work than anything worthwhile.

But after a stint in wine country characterized by indulgence and featuring minimal physical exertion, it feels great to get my soles back on the pavement every once in a while. Since I've been back in the city, I've taken the casual morning jog through our neighborhood a few times per week. Sometimes I have the company of my trusty & willing housemate & companion, Chewie, although at present she is out of commission on account of a recent encounter with the vet/knife/gonads. So, she hasn't been there to cheer (drag) me on over the hills (brutal).
"Get well soon" Chewie.

What I have had, however, is the unwavering support of the homeless community. Motivational cues like "Good job! Take your time..." & the more wheedling "Don't you go and lose too much back there. Pleeease don't" have given me that extra boost of enthusiasm to get me over the hills and back to the apartment after a good, healthy jog.

Other than giving out the time to a questioning woman on the street this morning, and the dull thud of my sneakers on the pavement, my runs haven't made much of an impression on the community in return (I did see a gallon-size Ziploc full of spaghetti on the sidewalk this morning though, which made me feel good that someone is providing for my cheerleaders. ultimate street randomness - just one more reason I'm in love with this city). I suppose I'll have to think of a creative way to give back on my next morning run...

1 comments:

ashley said...

omg why am i in indiana why am i in indiana why am i in indiana who needs an education anyway?!

Post a Comment